The 80s decade

Hey!

Welcome to We love the Eighties Community! We’re thrilled you’ve stopped by our ’80s paradise. 🌟 Here, we celebrate all things ’80s – from iconic music, movies, fashion, to the vibrant culture that defined a generation! Feel free to introduce yourself and start exploring the threads. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, memories, or even your latest ‘80s finds! We’re excited to have you join our vibrant community. Join us to connect with fellow enthusiasts, share your favorite memories, and dive into engaging discussions that bring the nostalgia of the ‘80s to life. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just curious about this dynamic era, you’ll find a home here.

Pete

Mr. Eighties
Apr 29, 2023
The eighties decade was a special time. Events that happened during that decade helped influenced us till this day. Sure it's safe to say that every decade has and will continue to do that but since this is an 80s community it's only natural that we focus on it.

1. Aids = In 1981 Aids was made public by the Center of Disease Control and Prevention. This virus was responsible for many many deaths. I lost an uncle and an aunt to it. Both were heroin uses.
  2. The Fall of Communism = In 1989 the Berlin Wall that divided Western Germany from the East was torn down ending communism in that country. Communism was in full retreat during that decade.
  3. Reaganomics = Many think that Reaganomics is responsible for the economic catastrophe that the US is in today. Whether or not this is true I don't know but most of today's politicians and economists believe so.
  4. Reagan Doctrine = e United States provided overt and covert aid to anti-communist guerrillas and resistance movements in an effort to "roll back" Soviet-backed pro-communist governments in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
  5. Yuppies = The 80s was responsible for the creation of yuppies lol.
  6. 80s Fashion = People during the 80s did their best to look like the famous 80s icons such as Madonna, Pat Benetar, Boy George, MC Hammer and more.
  7. 80s Music = MTV was responsible for spreading music across the US. Back then MTV was exactly what it started out to be. Which was to show music videos and it sure did. It helped make many of the 80s artist into sensations. The 80s produced some of the best music and music videos of all time. Till this day 80s music is popular.
  8. 80s movies = The 80s was responsible for many great movies. Unlike the decade before which most movies were about controversial subjects movies from the 80s appealed to all age groups. The 80s was responsible was iconic movies such as E.T, Beverly Hills Cop, Top Gun, The Breakfast Club, Indian Jones, Friday the 13th and much more.
  9. 80s TV = TV in the eighties was great. The 80s produced some of the worlds most popular tv shows such as The Simpsons, Family Matters, Roseanne, The Cosby Show, Married With Children, The Golden Girls and much more.

Yes 80s toys were great. There were so many to choose from.

The Chernobyl disaster.
That‘s a good one and probably if not the most important catastrophic event of the 80 s decade.

I‘m going to add the 1986 Challenger spacecraft explosion. All seven astronauts lost their lives in the explosion.

I remember the day this happened. I was in the 7th grade and I remember the whole school had to say prayer in the auditorium. Such a sad day.

The cable network MTV (Music Television) is launched On 1981. That was back when MTV was good.

The United States invasion of Panama.

The United States invasion of Panama, codenamed Operation Just Cause, began in mid-December 1989 during the presidency of George H. W. Bush. The primary purpose of the invasion was to depose the de facto ruler of Panama, General Manuel Noriega, who was wanted by U.S. authorities for racketeering and drug trafficking. The operation concluded in late January 1990 with the surrender of Noriega. The Panama Defense Forces (PDF) were dissolved, and President-elect Guillermo Endara was sworn into office. Read more..

Back