Today during the 80s in the month of May

Hey!

Welcome to We love the Eighties Community! We’re thrilled you’ve stopped by our ’80s paradise. 🌟 Here, we celebrate all things ’80s – from iconic music, movies, fashion, to the vibrant culture that defined a generation! Feel free to introduce yourself and start exploring the threads. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, memories, or even your latest ‘80s finds! We’re excited to have you join our vibrant community. Join us to connect with fellow enthusiasts, share your favorite memories, and dive into engaging discussions that bring the nostalgia of the ‘80s to life. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just curious about this dynamic era, you’ll find a home here.

Pete

Mr. Eighties
Apr 29, 2023
I figured this would be pretty interesting. Every day if I remember I'll post what happened on this day during the 80s. If there is anything that I missed let me know.

I'll start with today May 21.

1. 1980 Empire Strikes Back Premiered in Theaters
  2. 1981 The company Transamerica Corporation sold United Artists to MGM for $380 million dollars. The New York Islanders won their second Stanley cup. The movie Death Hunt starring Charles Bronson premiered.
  3. 1982 the movies Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Fight Back premiered. Queen's Hot Space was released.
  4. 1983 David Bowies song China Girl became the #1 song in America.
  5. 1985 Joe Walsh's the Confessor and Rick James Glow albums were released.
  6. 1986 the movie Crawlspace premiered.
  7. 1987 The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd premiered on TV. Guided by Voices album Sandbox and Anvil's Strength of Steel album were released.
  8. 1988 the famous Sammy David Junior passed away. Cinderalla's Long Cold Winter was released.

May 22nd

1. 1980 Diana Ross’s Diana album was released.
  2. 1981 Bustin’ Loose, The Four Seasons and the Legend of the Lone Ranger premiered in the movies. Toya’s album Anthem and Toni Basil’s Word of Mouth albums were released.
  3. 1982 Joe Cocker’s Sheffield Steel album was released.
  4. 1984 - The Final Episode of Hart to Hart Aired
  5. 1985 Rambo II First Blood, Brewster’s Millions and View to a Kill premiered in the movies. The final episode of Double Dare.
  6. 1987 Dane Dane with Fame’s debut album Dane Dane was released. In Meerut, India 350 people were killed which is known as the Hashimpura Massacre.
  7. 1989 Tin Machine’s Tin Machine and Nick Kershaw’s the Works albums were released.

May 23rd

1. 1980 the movies The Shining and the Gong Show premiered In theaters. Peter Gabriel’s album Peter Gabriel, Roxy Music’s Flesh and Blood and Graham Parker’s album The Up Escalator were released. Olivia Newton-John‘s single Magic was also released.
  2. 1981 The final episode of Eight is Enough aired on tv.
  3. 1982 the movie Pink Floyd the Wall premiered in theaters.
  4. 1984 the movie Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom premiered in theaters.
  5. 1985 heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson knocked out Don Halpin in the 4th round.
  6. 1986 the movies Cobra and Poltergeist II premiered in theaters. The final episode of Joker’s Wild aired on tv. It returned in 1990. Rod Stewart’s Every Beat of My Heart and Poison’s Look What the Cat Dragged In were released.
  7. 1987 Helloween‘s album (my favorite metal band) Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. 1 and Bob Seger‘s single Shakedown were released.
  8. 1988 Rod Stewart’s album Out of Order and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts album Up Your Alley were released.
  9. 1988 Wang Chung‘s album the Warmer Side of Cool was released.

May 24th

1. 1980 Buck Henry hosted the season finale of Saturday Night Live. Stanly Cup game 6 between the Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Islanders was broadcasted on Saturday afternoon on CBS.
  2. 1982 Blondie released the album the Hunter.
  3. 1983 the final episode of Joanie Loves Chachi aired.
  4. 1986 the final episode of the Love Boat and Mr. Sunshine aired. AC/DC Who Made Who for the soundtrack of the movie Maximum Overdrive was released.
  5. 1988 the final episode of Aaron’s Way aired. Devi’s Total Devo, Van Haley’s OU812, Camper Van Beethoven’s Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart and Frehley’s Comet‘s Second Sighting albums were released.
  6. 1989 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade premiered in theaters.

Last edited:
May 25th

1. 1980 Anvil’s debut album ‘Hard N Heavy was released. Jim Rutherford won the Indianapolis 500.
  2. 1983 Dio’s album Holy Diver was released. (One of my favorite NWBH albums ever ). Return of the Jedi premiered at the theaters.
  3. 1985 Wham’s Everything She Wants became number 1 in the U.S. Supertramp’s album Brother Where You Bound was released.
  4. 1987 the Cures Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me and Death’s Scream Bloody Gore albums were released. U2’s single I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For was also released.
  5. 1988 Crocodile Dundee II and Rambo III premiered at theaters. The final episode of St. Elsewhere aired.
  6. 1989 Swingout Sister’ Kaleidoscope and Frank Zappa’s Broadway the Hard Way albums were released.

May 26th

1. 1981 a Prowler airplane crashed into the flight deck of the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier.
  2. 1982 the Rolling Stones opened their European tour in Aberdeen, Scotland.
  3. 1983 a 7.8 earthquake hit the sea of Japan, causing a tsunami.
  4. 1984 Deniece Williams hit Let's Hear It For the Boys was #1in the US Billboard charts.
  5. 1986 Laurie Anderson‘s The Home of the Brave album was released.
  6. 1987 Richard Marx’s Don’t Mean Nothing album was released. He was the first male artist to have 3 songs hit the top 3 on the Billboard charts from a debut album that same year.

May 27th

1. 1982 the final episode of Mork & Mindy and Bosom Buddies aired. The Colorado Rockies of the NHL moved to New Jersey and became the Devils
  2. 1983 the movie Chained Heat premiered at the theaters. Mike Oldfield's album Crises was released. Donna Summer's single She Works Hard for the Money was released.
  3. 1985 Too Short's album Players and Bathory's album the Return were released.
  4. 1986 Cameo's single Word Up was released.
  5. 1988 the final 3pisode of Punky Brewster aired. Killer Klowns from Outer Space premiered at theaters.

May 28th

1. 1980 Foghat’s Tight Shoes album was released. Oakland Athletics players, Wayne Gross and Dwayne Murphy stole home in the 1st inning Against the Kansas City Royals.
  2. 1982 Cher’s I Paralyze and Glen Frey’s No Fun Allowed albums were released. Rocky 3 and Escape Artist premiered in theaters.
  3. 1983 Flashdance... What a Feeling" by Michael Sembello became number one in America.
  4. 1984 the final episode of One Day at a Time aired.
  5. 1986 the final episode of T.J. Hooker aired.
  6. 1987 the final episode of Scarecrow and Mrs. King and the final newscast of Our World aired. Joe Carter from the Cleveland Indians hit 3 home runs against the Boston Red Sox.
  7. 1988 One More Try by George Michael became the number one song in America. The final episode of Marblehead Manor aired.
  8. 1989 on June 5th the Blue Jays played their first game at the new Skydome.

May 29th

1. 1980 Larry Bird won the NBA rookie of the year.
  2. 1981 UB40‘s Present Arms and Amy Grant’s In Concert albums were released. Survivor’s single Eye of the Tiger was released. The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia, Dead & Buried and Polyester premiered at theaters.
  3. 1983 Tom Sneva won the 67th Indianapolis 500.
  4. 1984 Tina Turner‘s Private Dancer and The Fat Boy’s Fat Boy albums were released.
  5. 1985 Warlock’s album Hellbound was released.
  6. 1987 LL Cool Jo’s Bigger and Better and John Hiatt’s Bring the Family albums were released.
  7. 1988 President Ronald Reagan visited the Soviet Union for the first time.

May 30th

1. 1980 Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!!) and The Hollywood Knights premiered at theaters.
  2. 1981 Echo & the Bunnymen’s album Heaven Up Here was released.
  3. 1982 Spain Joined NATO.
  4. 1983 Elton John’s album Too Low Zero was released.
  5. 1984 Jefferson Starship‘s album Nuclear Furniture was released.
  6. 1986 the final episode of Welcome to Pooh Corner aired. A Great Wall premiered at theaters. Fashion designer, Perry Ellis passed away at the age of 46 from AIDS related cancer.
  7. 1987 the final episode Silver Spoons aired.
  8. 1988 Peter Mansbridge replaced Knowlton Nash as anchorman of CBC television's “The National”. Mike Tyson beat Pinklom Thomas by TKO in the 6th round to retain the WBA and WBC heavyweight championships.
  9. 1988 the Jacksons’ Jackson Street and Dolly Patron’s While Limozeen albums were released.

May 31st

1. 1980 Funkytown by Lipps Inc. became the number 1 song in the U.S. Whitesnake’s Ready an’ Willing album was released.
  2. 1982 Survivor’s single Eye of the Tiger was released.
  3. 1983 the final episode of Bring “Em Back Alive aired. Agnetha Fältskog’s album Wrap Your Arms Around Me was released.
  4. 1985 the movie Fletch premiered at theaters. The final episode of AfterMASH aired.
  5. 1986 The Indianapolis 500 aired live for the first time on ABC tv. Wham’s album The Final (compilation) was released.
  6. 1988 Doug E. Fresh‘s The World’s Greatest Entertainer and Boogie Down Productions‘ By All Means Necessary albums were released.

Back