More Specials (1980)

Hey!

Thanks for visiting www.WeLovetheEighties.com the #1 80s online community! If you’re a fan of the 80s decade then you’re at the right place. Register now to reminisce the 80s with us. Signing up takes less than a minute.

Pete

Mr. Eighties
Apr 29, 2023
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: More Specials
Artist: The Specials
Genre: Ska
Released: 1980

Tracks:
1 - Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think) - 3:38
2 - Rat Race - 3:08
3 - Man at C&A - 3:38
4 - Hey, Little Rich Girl - 3:39
5 - Do Nothing - 3:44
6 - Pearl's Cafe - 3:10
7 - Sock It to 'em J.B. - 2:58
8 - Stereotypes / Stereotypes, Part 2 - 7:24
9 - Holiday Fortnight - 2:46
10 - I Can't Stand It - 4:03
11 - International Jet Set - 5:38
12 - Enjoy Yourself (reprise) - 1:46

Overview:
More Specials is an October 1980 (see 1980 in music) album from the ska band The Specials. The album was the band's second, after their self-titled debut, and expanded the group's 2 tone sound to include lounge music and other influences. It includes collaborations with The Go-Go's, Rhoda Dakar from The Bodysnatchers and Lee Jay Thompson from Madness. The lyrics, like the previous album, were often intensely political.
On the charts, the album hit the Top Five in the UK, where "Rat Race", "Stereotype" and "Do Nothing" hit the Top Ten. "Rat Race" hit #89 on Billboard Music Chart's (US) Club Play Singles chart, while the album as a whole hit #98 on Billboards Pop Albums chart.
More Specials was a hit in the two-tone movement, a late-1970s revival of Jamaican ska from the 1960s. Along with bands like the Bodysnatchers and Madness, The Specials would go on to be a leader in this revival, and later heroes for two further ska-punk revivals on the opposite side of the Atlantic: the late 1980s Southern California scene (NOFX, Operation Ivy) and the mid-1990s "third wave of ska" (Sublime, No Doubt) which popularised the mixture in the US.
The Track 'Hey, Little Rich Girl' has been covered by Amy Winehouse.

I never got into SKA music so I have no idea who these guys are.

Back