Kaboom!

Hey!

Welcome to We love the Eighties Community! We’re thrilled you’ve stopped by our ’80s paradise. 🌟 Here, we celebrate all things ’80s – from iconic music, movies, fashion, to the vibrant culture that defined a generation! Feel free to introduce yourself and start exploring the threads. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, memories, or even your latest ‘80s finds! We’re excited to have you join our vibrant community. Join us to connect with fellow enthusiasts, share your favorite memories, and dive into engaging discussions that bring the nostalgia of the ‘80s to life. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just curious about this dynamic era, you’ll find a home here.

Kaboom!
The mad bomber is on the loose! As he races back and forth at the top of the screen, you need to catch the bombs he drops in buckets of water. One point is earned for each bomb caught, but miss one of the bombs, and Kaboom! As the levels progress, the mad bomber will move faster and faster and drop more and more bombs. You start the game with three buckets, and lose one each time a bomb is missed. The game ends when all of your water buckets are gone.
Players: 2
Co-op: No
Genre: Action
Released:
Publisher: Activision
Game information provided by TheGamesDB

Pete

Mr. Eighties
Apr 29, 2023
Kaboom is another game that I never played. As a matter of fact if it wasn’t for my girlfriend who spoke about the game yesterday I wouldn’t have even known that it existed.

Kaboom was a great one! My brothers and I used to play it religiously all the time when we were kids. I used to whip all their asses.

I was real good at Kaboom! It’s an Atari 2600 game published by Activision in 1981. It was subsequently released for a variety of platforms. The game was very successful, selling over one million cartridges by 1983. The game consists of using a set of three buckets to catch bombs dropped by the "Mad Bomber", a man wearing striped prison clothes and a robber's mask. Points are scored for every bomb extinguished. A bucket is lost every time a bomb falls off the screen. Extra buckets are awarded at every 1000 points, but there can only be three at any given time. The longer the game is played the faster the bombs fall, making each of the difficulty levels more challenging than the last. The game has a maximum score of 999,999 points. Each bomb successfully extinguished earns you points (depending on the wave you are playing). The points you gain for each bomb depends on the speed of the bomb and which wave it is in.

This was one of my favorite games! I beat it more than once. I remember at the end I had one water bucket bombs were flying at lightening speed and I wouldn’t dare blink. That took some serious concentration I doubt I could be that focused now !

This was one of my favorite games! I beat it more than once. I remember at the end I had one water bucket bombs were flying at lightening speed and I wouldn’t dare blink. That took some serious concentration I doubt I could be that focused now !
Our reaction speeds do slow down as we age. No way in hell would I be able to conquer that game at this age.

I still rock at Kaboom. My spider senses still work as good as ever.

Studies have shown that after peaking at 24 years old, reaction time declines between 4 and 10 milliseconds per year, depending on the type of activity measured, where constant and fatiguing decision making (such as in a RTS game) amounts for 10 milliseconds per year decline, and isolated tests amounts for 4 millisecond per year decline. This means a person who is 34 years old is between 40 and 100 milliseconds slower than his/her 24 years old self. Reaction times can be improved by good sleeping, eating and exercising.

Studies have shown that after peaking at 24 years old, reaction time declines between 4 and 10 milliseconds per year, depending on the type of activity measured, where constant and fatiguing decision making (such as in a RTS game) amounts for 10 milliseconds per year decline, and isolated tests amounts for 4 millisecond per year decline. This means a person who is 34 years old is between 40 and 100 milliseconds slower than his/her 24 years old self. Reaction times can be improved by good sleeping, eating and exercising.
What‘s your secret Manny? Obviously some of us could use a little advice from you on this subject.

Manny I have to call you out. There’s no way on earth that your senses are just as good as they were when you were in your 20s. No freaking way. That’s not to say that you don’t beat the game but you‘re not as good as you were in your youth.

I really don’t know how to tell you all that my reflexes are on point. I’m extremely sharp and I am not trying to take you all for a ride. I’m always victorious when I play Kaboom!

Manny I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you’re a rare specimen and that your reflexes are impeccable.

Back