Flashback Fridays: Relive the Raddest Moments of the 1980s

Hey!

Welcome to We love the Eighties Community! We’re thrilled you’ve stopped by our ’80s paradise. 🌟 Here, we celebrate all things ’80s – from iconic music, movies, fashion, to the vibrant culture that defined a generation! Feel free to introduce yourself and start exploring the threads. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, memories, or even your latest ‘80s finds! We’re excited to have you join our vibrant community. Join us to connect with fellow enthusiasts, share your favorite memories, and dive into engaging discussions that bring the nostalgia of the ‘80s to life. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just curious about this dynamic era, you’ll find a home here.

Pete

Mr. Eighties
Apr 29, 2023
Welcome to Flashback Fridays! 🎉 It's time to rewind the cassette tape, dust off those neon leg warmers, and journey back to the totally tubular decade of the 1980s! Each Friday, we'll dive into the nostalgia-filled world of the '80s and celebrate everything that made this era totally awesome.

📼 Memory Lane: Share your favorite memories from the 1980s. Whether it's your first concert, your go-to arcade game, or the iconic movies that defined your childhood, let's reminisce together!

🎵 80s Jukebox: What's on your ultimate '80s playlist? From pop hits to rock anthems, share the songs that still get you grooving today. Don't forget to swap recommendations and discover new tracks to add to your rotation.

📺 Movie Night: Grab the popcorn and join us for a virtual movie night! Each Friday, we'll feature a classic '80s film for everyone to watch and discuss together. From coming-of-age comedies to action-packed adventures, there's something for everyone to enjoy.

👗 Fashion Flashback: Show off your raddest '80s fashion! Whether you're rocking acid-washed jeans, shoulder pads, or leg warmers, snap a pic and share your signature style with the community. Bonus points for crimped hair and neon accessories!

💬 Topic of the Week: Join the conversation and share your thoughts on our weekly topic. From the rise of MTV to the video game revolution, there's no shortage of fascinating subjects to explore. Let's dive deep into the '80s zeitgeist and uncover new insights together.

Let's make every Friday a trip down memory lane! Can't wait to see you all there.

Stay rad,
Pete

I'll start it off with a memory of me as a kid involving my Castle Grayskull He-man toy. So I used to play with it a lot and on this one day I had left out in the hallway and obviously it was in the way. Anyway my grandmother asked me many times that day to put it away and I completely ignored her each time. Eventually grandma flipped out. Out of nowhere my cousins started laughing hysterically so I turned to see at what and I saw grandma jumping up and down on my Castle Grayskull! She smashed it to smithereens. She had rage in her eyes like David Banner right before turning into the Incredible Hulk. Anyway that will always be an 80s memory of mine. What's yours?

fridpart3.jpg

This week, I'm paying tribute to the film "Friday the 13th Part 3," which holds a special memory involving my grandma (yiayia). Sometime in 1982 during a weekend gathering with our extended family for a movie night. The movie choice Friday the 13th Part III. I vividly recall receiving 3D glasses along with our movie tickets. With around 15 or possibly more of us gathered, including numerous cousins, uncles, and aunts, it was quite the Greek family affair to say the least lol! I wish I could remember who exactly was there but there were so many of us and it was so long ago that I forget.

As the movie unfolded, we reached the scene where Jason shoots the harpoon. Now picture this An old conservative yiayia, in her 70s, wearing 3D glasses that she had no idea how they worked suddenly confronted with a harpoon hurtling towards her in three-dimensional horror! The sight was enough to startle her out of her seat, her hand clutching her heart as she let out a scream of terror. Her reaction was so dramatic that it drew the attention of the entire cinema audience towards us. To add to the comedic chaos my uncle began yelling at my cousin Harry in Greek and throwing him a beating right there in the theater! Not to mention that we left right after disrupting the people behind us from watching the movie lol. . Looking back, it's one of those memories that you had to experience firsthand to fully appreciate its humor. But for me, it remains a cherished 80s memory that never fails to bring a smile to my face.

kar.jpg

For this week's Flashback Friday I'm going to paying tribute to the movie The Karate Kid. I don't remember exactly how old I was when I first saw this movie but I'm guessing I was either 9 or 10 years old. I was taking a bus to upstate to visit my grandmother and as I was getting off the bus I found a bag with two vhs tapes inside it laying on a seat that someone had forgot. One of them was this movie and the other was Grease. Well the first time I watched it was at grandma's house and since then I always connect the movie with that memory on the bus. The same with Grease.

sesame.jpg

For this Friday I want to honor my Sesame Street Big Bird clock. While I did nothing with this clock it reminds me of the place where I grew up during the eighties. It sat on the my grandmother's nightstand for years and every time I think of it I think of that time.

Welcome back to another week of flashback Fridays 80s. I have a memory of the song Jam On It by Newcleus. It was either 1985 or 1986 I was visiting Greece for the summer. One night I was in the village square we're all the kids and teenagers hung out at. So that night I remember it was hot and the song jam on it from Newcleus was playing. There were a whole bunch of teenagers hanging out on the other side around three or four of them were breakdancing to it. So every time I hear that song it takes me back to that day.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IMG_9344.jpg

Welcome back to another round of Flashback 80s Friday! For this week I'm going to share another story that took place in Greece during the summer of 85 or 86. I had this Def Leppard shirt that I wore with my green camouflage pants and I thought that I was so cool. I mean I literally felt like a tough guy and like my didn't stink. Anyway once again this happened in town square. I was walking around with my arms out to the sides like I'm built too and let me tell you I got so abused. All these kids started laughing at me calling me a koloAmerikaniki which in English translates to asshole American lol. It makes more sense in Greek. Well I ended feeling so embarrassed and pissed off that I walked away in shame but before I did I turned around yelled F U and flipped them off lol Then I just went home. I don't know why I thought of that time but I know I definitely deserved the abuse lol.

IMG_1034.jpeg

Here we go, diving into another Flashback 80s Friday. This time, let's rewind to when I was about nine or 10, rocking my very first jean jacket. I felt incredibly cool, especially with an Iron Maiden "Purgatory" patch ready to adorn the back. Whether it was my grandma who took it to the cleaners for the patchwork or my older cousin who helped out, I can't quite recall. But that wasn't all - I also decked it out with spike studs along the shoulders. I genuinely believed I was the epitome of cool. It even got to the point where older teenagers would notice, saying, "Check out this little kid with his metal jacket." Ah, those were the days.

I can't wait to hear flashback stories from other members. I'm pretty much talking to myself on here lol.

IMG_1093.jpeg
Do you remember back in the 80s the traveling kiddie rides? I'm pretty sure they were around during the 70s too. The only time that I ever got to go on them was whenever I was a at cousin's house. He lived on a street with lots of kids so I'm guessing that's why the kiddie ride trucks used to go there frequently. I still clearly remember them. It was during the summers in the mid 80s Good times.

I remember those mobile amusement truck rides very well. If I'm not mistaken they were around from the late 1960's into the early 1990's.

I remember those mobile amusement truck rides very well. If I'm not mistaken they were around from the late 1960's into the early 1990's.

You're probably right. They were so much fun. The excitement on our faces were prices when we saw the truck coming down the street.

IMG_1137.jpeg
Welcome back to another week of Flashback 80s Friday. This week I'm laying my respects to my favorite place during the early to mid 80s Playworld. Playworld was a huge toy store which was located on Steinway street in Astoria, Queens. My dad would take me there at least once a month and buy me a toy. I got my Colecovision from there. It was the most exciting place to be at for me. Can you imagine being a kid and being surrounded by toys, toys and more toys? I'm sure you could relate.

IMG_1197.jpeg
Welcome back to Flashback 80s Fridays on Steinway Street! Let's take a trip down memory lane to the iconic movie theater of the early 80s that holds a special place in my heart. As a kid, stepping into that theater was like entering a magical portal to a world of adventure and wonder. I can still feel the excitement bubbling up as I eagerly awaited the latest releases, from heartwarming tales like "E.T." to pulse-pounding adventures like "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

But it wasn't just about the blockbusters; it was the whole experience—the smell of popcorn, the dimming lights, and the anticipation that filled the air. Even the spine-chilling thrillers like "Mortuary" and "Friday the 13th" had a certain charm that kept us coming back for more.

Those days at the old movie theater on Steinway Street hold a treasure trove of memories, reminding me of carefree childhood days and the joy of experiencing cinema magic with friends and family. Join me in celebrating Flashback Fridays as we relive those nostalgic moments and pay homage to the place that shaped our love for 80s cinema.

Back