Fact of the day thread

Hey!

Welcome to We love the Eighties Community! We’re thrilled you’ve stopped by our ’80s paradise. 🌟 Here, we celebrate all things ’80s – from iconic music, movies, fashion, to the vibrant culture that defined a generation! Feel free to introduce yourself and start exploring the threads. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, memories, or even your latest ‘80s finds! We’re excited to have you join our vibrant community. Join us to connect with fellow enthusiasts, share your favorite memories, and dive into engaging discussions that bring the nostalgia of the ‘80s to life. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just curious about this dynamic era, you’ll find a home here.

Today’s fact. Juicy Fruit gum, an early version of Cracker Jack, and the Ferris Wheel all made their debuts at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair.

Now today’s fact is quite interesting. In 1907, an ad campaign for Kellogg’s Corn Flakes offered a free sample of cereal to any customer who would wink at their grocer. You wink at their grocer and you get a free sample of Corn Flakes. I wonder who came up with that idea over at Kelloggs?

Today’s fact is about the Oxford dictionary. It took the editors of the first Oxford English Dictionary five years to reach the word ant.

Today’s fact. Although the bobcat is rarely seen, it is the most common wildcat in North America.

Today’s fact. The corpse flower was the official flower of the Bronx for 60 years.

Today’s fact is about IKEA which I can’t stand. They consume about 1 percent of the world's lumber.

Today’s fact. A baby puffin is called a puffling, and both parents take turns incubating the egg before it hatches

Today’s fact is about curling. In curling, good sportsmanship and politeness are essential. Congratulating opponents on plays and abstaining from trash talk are part of what’s known as the “Spirit of Curling.”

Today’s fact Is about England’s Queen Elizabeth. She has had over 30 corgis in her lifetime.

Today’s bloody fact. Blood donors in Sweden receive a thank you text when their blood is used.

Today’s fact. The FBI called Ted Kaczynski "The Unabomber" because his early mail bombs were sent to universities (UN) and airlines (A).

Today’s fact is all about everyone’s favorite bird the pigeon. Trained pigeons can differentiate between the paintings of Pablo Picasso and Claude Monet.

Today’s fact is about football and rap music. In 1985, the Chicago Bears recorded a hit rap song called “The Super Bowl Shuffle,” which was nominated for a Grammy award for Best Rhythm and Blues Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal. Ultimately, they lost to Prince’s “Kiss."

Today’s fact and I want you all to say the name out loud three times. Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia is the medical term for brain freeze. Don’t forget three times.

Today‘s fact is about our fury feline companions. Japan is home to about a dozen "cat islands"—places where cats significantly outnumber people.

I would probably die of a heart attack. I’ll be sneezing nonstop without a break.

Today’s fact. Jeannette Rankin became the first female member of Congress in 1916, four years before the 19th Amendment was ratified.

Today’s fact. Elton John has pianos named after Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, and Diana Krall.

Today’s fact. Big cats like lions and jaguars love catnip, too.

Today’s fact is definitely a big coincidence. Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on July 4, 1826, exactly 50 years after the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.

Today‘s fact is an interesting one. Stalin plotted to kill John Wayne. That is hilarious if true.

Last edited:
Back