Empires and Dance (1980)

Hey!

Welcome to We love the Eighties Community! We’re thrilled you’ve stopped by our ’80s paradise. 🌟 Here, we celebrate all things ’80s – from iconic music, movies, fashion, to the vibrant culture that defined a generation! Feel free to introduce yourself and start exploring the threads. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, memories, or even your latest ‘80s finds! We’re excited to have you join our vibrant community. Join us to connect with fellow enthusiasts, share your favorite memories, and dive into engaging discussions that bring the nostalgia of the ‘80s to life. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just curious about this dynamic era, you’ll find a home here.

Pete

Mr. Eighties
Apr 29, 2023
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Empires and Dance
Artist: Simple Minds
Genre: Alternative Rock
Released: 1980

Tracks:
1 - I Travel - 4:02
2 - Today I Died Again - 4:38
3 - Celebrate - 5:09
4 - This Fear of Gods - 7:05
5 - Capital City - 6:15
6 - Constantinople Line - 4:40
7 - Twist/Run/Repulsion - 4:32
8 - Thirty Frames a Second - 5:03
9 - Kant-Kino - 1:53
10 - Room - 2:28

Overview:
Empires and Dance is the third studio album by Simple Minds, released in 1980. It charted poorly, peaking at only #41 in the UK Albums Chart. According to the Allmusic review of the album, this is primarily because the record company Arista only released a small number of copies at a time before each batch sold out. This had the effect of limited availability for fans.
The opening track "I Travel" was released as a single in 1980, failing to chart. Following the release of this album, Simple Minds transferred to Virgin Records, where they met with much greater commercial success. Arista tried to capitalize on this success by re-releasing "I Travel" as a single in 1982, and again in 1983. Both times, it still failed to chart.
The song's lyrics refer to European politics, as well as Brian Eno's first Ambient series' record, Music for Airports:
Europe has a language problem,
Talk, talk, talk, talk, talking on.
In central Europe,
Men are marching,
Marching on and marching on.
Love songs playing in the restaurants,
Airport playing Brian Eno.

Empires and Dance was Simple Minds debut in the 80s. It was their fourth album total but first one to be released in the 80s.

Back